Sunnyvale School District
On Tuesday, November 8, 2016, voters in the Sunnyvale School District voted on Measure BB. Measure BB renewed a $59 per year parcel tax that was first approved by voters in 2011. Measure BB continues to provide the School District with a reliable, local source of funds to support and maintain high academic standards for the students in our eight elementary and two middle schools. Measure BB will last for seven years and required a two-thirds voter approval for passage.
Measure BB protects our schools. Since approved by voters in 2011, Measure BB has raised approximately $1 million annually to support our 10 schools. Without these additional local funds, the district would have been forced to reduce or eliminate classroom programs and services including science, libraries, and technology.
Measure BB funds allows the district to continue to:
- Protect district programs such as math, English, and science.
- Maintain computers and technology used by students and teachers.
- Attract and retain highly qualified teachers and staff.
- Keep class sizes as small as possible.
Measure BB provides for strict accountability as funds are spent. An Independent Citizens Oversight Committee monitors and reviews all Measure BB expenditures. This committee of local residents makes sure that all funds are spent as planned for the benefit of local students.
An exemption is available for those 65 and over and the disabled. An exemption from Measure BB is available to those who are at least 65 years old or disabled and own and reside in their home. Anyone currently exempt from the parcel tax will continue to be exempt under Measure BB. You do not need to re-apply for an exemption.
Senior Exemption from the Parcel Tax for the Fiscal Year must be submitted by June 30:
To qualify for exemption from the parcel tax during any tax year (July 1 – June 30), you must be age 65 on or before June 30 of any applicable year, the owner of the parcel and use the parcel as your principal place of residence.
You may apply by mail or in person at the District Office which is located at 819 W. Iowa Ave, Sunnyvale, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1-4:30 p.m.
To apply you must provide us with the following:
- Birth date Verification: (drivers license, passport, birth certificate, DMV Identification Card, or Medicare Card )
- Residence Verification: (PG&E Bill or Utility Bill )
- Proof of Ownership: (Most recent property tax bill with Assessor's Parcel Number (APN#)
- If you would prefer to apply by mail, please include copies of the above information as well as the Exemption Application Form at the top of this page and mail to the address on the exemption form.
Complete your exemption application for next year by June 30.
None of these funds will be spent on district administration. All of the funds raised by Measure BB will be spent in our local classrooms.
For more information about the Sunnyvale School District and Measure BB, please visit the District’s web site at www.sesd.org.